Romania - The fourth and last period - Democracy - spring 2016
1st of March – 15th of June 2016
Because people used to apply the concept of democracy in a convenient way when it is related to them and for everybody else the concept is abstract and must have limits our goal is to make an impact on the students’ lives by helping them to discover the true meaning of democracy, using all informative resources and cooperation
The activities will be coordinated by the Romanian team. In order to get in touch easily, the coordinators from each of the other three countries should send a list with all email addresses (from students and teachers involved) to the Romanian coordinator .
1. the students will be divided into groups and each national group will join an international team (formed with groups from each country)
2. in each team the national groups will get information about democracy and its role in society using different sources.
Democracy is a very complex notion. It is all about rights and duties, citizenship, digital citizenship, safety, safe internet, decision making, ecology, gender equality, human rights, children rights, universal suffrage, freedom of speech, freedom of religion and conscience, freedom of assembly, and the right to equal protection before the law, tolerance, philoxenia. It is all against discrimination of all kind, racism, xenophobia, corruption, slavery and other forms of exploitation ...
1.03 – 18.03.2016
1. As the first online activity the students will work in teams to create a poster. For this they will choose a theme from those suggested by their teachers and discuss it with teammates how they can picture it. The poster can be handmade, paint, photo collage, or any other tool the students are familiar with. The teachers will make the teams to encourage the students to know each other better.
2. The second task will challenge the students to write articles..
They will be invited to make investigative journalism to report about various issues which can occur in any democracy.
The activity is divided into three steps:
a. There will be 8 international teams in which will be 4 national groups. Each national group has to choose a topic to write an article. Each group will have to investigate how things happen related to this topic in all partner countries. For this they will write 5-7 questions, then send them to the other groups in their international team. At the end of this step, each group will also receive 3 sets of questions from the partner groups in their team.
b. Next step of this activity is to work in the national groups to document, to research for to give detailed answers to the questions received, then send them back to the proper partner group. Each group will also receive extensive answers to the questions about the topic for their chosen article.
c. The last step will be to write the article based on the information gathered from all 4 partner countries and to illustrate it properly.
3. The mobility in Romania – “Democracy”
Knowing that the topic is Democracy and debates are the most democratic exercise for expressing opinions, criticize things and discuss solutions, the students will be divided in groups, choose a topic of democratic interest, make research on it and come up with arguments for or against it. Teachers will guide and help them in their quest. To get a bit more experience they will assist at a demonstrative debate held by the members of the host school Debate Club. As a conclusion of this activity, a final debates contest will be organized. The most interesting topic and the convicing teams will be honoured.